2024 Year 7 Enrolment and Transition Information

Welcome to Sunbury College. This page captures the key information and resources you need to make an informed decision about your child’s pathway as they transition into Year 7. Please take the time to get to ‘know’ our College and how we can partner together to ensure your child has a quality secondary education, underpinned by strong values of respect, responsibility, resilience and endeavour.


Student Perspectives

Hear first hand from Year 7 students about their experience at Sunbury College.




Frequently Asked Questions

What do I have to do to ensure my child is enrolled?

If you are from a government primary school, return the Application for 6 to 7 Placement 2024 Form to your child’s primary school by 12 May 2023. This will start the process and you will be contacted by our school in due course. Your child’s enrolment is subject to the Department of Education placement guidelines.

If you are from a non-government primary school, download the Year 6 to 7 Placement Information Pack 2023-2024 and return to your primary school or Sunbury College by 12 May 2023. This will start the process and you will be contacted by our school in due course. Your child’s enrolment is subject to the Department of Education placement guidelines.


Is my child guaranteed a place at Sunbury College?

Sunbury College school zone is available on findmyschool.vic.gov.au. Findmyschool.vic.gov.au hosts the most up-to-date information about Victorian school zones for 2022 onwards. Students residing in this zone are guaranteed a place at our school, which is determined on the basis of your permanent residential address. The Department provides guidance through the Placement Policy to ensure that students have access to their designated neighbourhood school and the freedom to choose other schools, subject to capacity. You can find more information and answers to frequently asked questions on the Department’s website under School zones.

Many of our students choose Sunbury College even though we are not their closest school, so even if our school is not your designated neighbourhood school you may still be offered a place. Many applications for an out of zone placement are successful and we encourage all students who are wanting to enrol at Sunbury College to submit an application. Information regarding siblings is collected on the Placement Form which you return to your primary school.

A curriculum grounds application would be based on the assumption that our school is the closest school that offers a particular program of importance to your child (such as Japanese, Instrumental Music, High Abilities Program etc.). For specific curriculum or compassionate grounds, it is best to submit the Application for Enrolment Supporting Information Form and forward it to the Sunbury College Principal sunbury.co@education.vic.gov.au or hand it in at the College no later than Friday 26 May, which is two weeks after the Notification of Interest Form is due back to your child’s primary school


Who is my first point of contact if I have questions about the transition process?

The Year 6 Coordinator, Transition Coordinator or Principal of your child’s primary school can help you with any questions you may have about the transition process. The Department of Education guidelines require secondary schools to work directly with primary schools during the transition process and not make direct contact with families until after placement offers are confirmed.


Can I have a tour of Sunbury College?

Yes, if you miss our Open Night and wish to take a tour of the school with the Principal, please contact our office for available times.


Where can I find more information about the Department of Education transition policy?

For parents/carers interested in understanding what policy governs the transition process, you can access the policy in the Department of Education policy library available here. Our school, like all government schools, operates in accordance with the terms set out in this policy.


More Resources

More information from the Department of Education is available using the links below: